Scholastic Chess Gateway - The latest news about chess people, organizations and websites

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Note from Bruce Pandolfini



Legendary chess coach and writer Bruce Pandolfini sent me a note following the publication of my review of the Soviet classic Questions of Modern Chess Theory. He commented that seeing the review of the book brought back some fond memories for him.

"As I recall, Fischer really liked the Gawlikowski endgame books, Lisitsin's big tactical work, and especially the Lipnitsky, which supposedly he carried around with him for a full year and, according to Bobby's own claims, helped make him a grandmaster. I was able to get all of the above books, in fact, Fischer's very copies, when I was a teenager myself. His worn and tattered copy of the first edition of Lipnitsky's classic, which Bobby signed in his characteristic printed scrawl at the time, is one of my most prized possessions."

I'm glad to see that Bruce agrees that Questions of Modern Chess Theory, originally published in 1956, remains a book "every serious chess player should know about."

Thanks, Bruce, for the informative comments.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • It is nice that some publishers still believe in publishing fresh translations of forgotten classics!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Entertainment blogs Top Blogs Photarium blog directory Blog Directory - photarium RankingBlogs.com :: Defining Your Blogs Worth: TopSites: